Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Rain

I sat on my porch that morning enjoying the birds calling to each other as it began to rain.

First it was gentle and I hardly realized it was raining because it wasn’t raining hard enough to come through the trees that surrounded me.  I heard the soft drops as they fell on the leaves and only then did I notice the small drops of rain as they landed on the deck.

As the rain became more intense, the gentle drops becoming larger, the rain began to splash gently on the table.  The birds seemed to increase their chatter with each other.  They seemed to enjoy the rain. 

Then it came.  Thunder!  Not just in the distance or a soft rumble, but THUNDER!  Cracking, loud, bold, attention getting!

As the thunder got my attention I was reminded that God is in this picture.
He is in the gentle rain, when the rain comes gently to refresh the earth and the birds call out.  He refreshes our soul in the gentle way He speaks to us, guides us as we read His Word.

His voice is in the thunder.  The rain didn’t stop with the thunder, but it seemed to almost pause, hesitate.  Even the birds were silent as they heard His voice.  Sometimes as I study His Word, He speaks to me like that.  

“This is for you today.”  
        "Where have you been?"  
                    “Today is the day to act.”  
                           “Love your neighbor.”
                                     "Do you love me?"

I could feel His presence as I sat there on my porch.  In the distance I heard a rumble.  Almost as if God was acknowledging my thoughts.

To be His child, to know His love, to hear Him speak through the rain, the thunder and through His Word.  I am blessed!

The birds are silent now but He still speaks!


We speak to God when we pray.  God speaks to us when we read the Bible.  St. Augustine


Update

The above journal entry was written several weeks ago.  As I revisited it today, I realized that perhaps this was the last day it rained.  The earth is very dry, grass brittle and leaves are dropping from the trees, all a result of little or no rain.  I couldn’t help but think about how this relates to my life when I go days without spending time in God’s Word.  How quickly my life changes without the washing of His Word on a daily basis.  Thank you God for reminding me how necessary Your Word is to keep me refreshed and alive.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I'm so glad you've started this blog!!!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I'm so glad you've started this blog!!!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankful for the rain even more after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I so enjoyed reading this & look forward to more! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete